Cool Stuff You Didn't Know You Needed to Know...
Or the page of useful, useless, oh, and unusual things...
I'm always coming across links of things I find interesting or helpful, so I'm sharing them here for others who want - or need - to know these things, too.
Fiction markets and more... More to come...
* Flash fiction - No Pay:
* Flashes in the Dark - flash fiction, horror, under 1k, no pay
* Shotgun Honey - flash fiction, noir/mystery, to 700 wds. No pay
* Short Story Saturday - Haunt Jaunts
* List of open Anthologies - Literarium.net
* New - Black Cat Mystery Mag./Wildside Press
* Flash Bang Mysteries - flash to 750 wds.
* Mystery Weekly - email, online and on Amazon
* Synopsis writing guide - Beth Anderson (best I've found)
* Easy synopsis writing - 1 page
* Author book purchase site
* Kindle Kids Book Creator, make illustrated books, program
* Make one link for all Amazon book sites
* Writing articles - Holly Lisle
* Etymology Online
* Discounted, free books: Readfree.ly
* Indies Unlimited Book Promo Sites (free & discounted books)
* Online LunaPic - Photo rotator - free (so pix stay vertical when uploaded online or to FB) (Other cool effects too!)
* Free animated gifs * Free online photo editor - PicMonkey
* Animated pumpkin gifs
* Free zombie wallpapers
* Convert audio to MP3 free
* Convert PDF to word (full docs, free)
* Canon XT Rebel camera guide
* Domain - IP look-up - Whois.net
* 10 Best Domain Registrars
* NYPL Digital Library - sheet music, 1890-1909
* Free historical costume patterns - Mymondermet.com
* Flickr: Library of Congress vintage photos
* Unusual 1850 Victorian "Blood Book" Scrapbook scanned
* Vintage Christmas and other photos
* Vintage Christmas photos, villages, catalog pages
* Weird stuff at Ridiculously Interesting.com
* WWI photo series
* WLS radio top hits by year
* Catholic "incorrupt" saints - mummified bodies... (from the 1800s even)
Dogs & Pets:
* Good to know: Acupuncture pressure spot to combat bloat (if it works?) * CPR for dogs
* Currency converter
* My Belgian genealogy pages
Science - World Events:
Mar '19: * Scientists grow brain in dish
* Measles epidemics hit states.
* Mt. Everest glaciers melting uncovering bodies.
* "Bomb cyclone" - Midwest and east coast. Massive floods, Nebraska, Midwest.
Feb. '19: "Polar vortex" - hit -21 in Wisc. -50 wind chills.
* Insect apocalypse - insects dying
* Hundreds of sea turtles die after coming ashore; hundreds being cared for in Mass. due to cold.
* NASA lands InSight explorer on Mars.
11/26: * * Hundreds of pilot whales beached and die in NZ.
* Gene-editing of one unborn twin in China.
* Rain ends deadly Camp Fire in CA; thousands of homes destroyed; Town of Paradise destroyed.
* Mysterious polio-like disease spreads to 30 states. One adult affected in Wisc.
* Thousands of Swedish residents have embedded micro-chips for banking transactions.
* 8/18: Indonesia earthquake; CA wildfires; Red Tide, toxic algae kills fish, dolphins, hundreds of sea turtles in FL.
5/22: * Latest Ebola outbreak, million-pop. city; first time virus vaccination use
* Nipah virus outbreak India, fruit bats to humans (previous outbreak Malaysia to pigsm 1999
* New Guinea Flatworms found in Florida; eat earthworms
* Giant predatory (Asian Flathead) worms invaded France , just noticed
* Amazon – Orlando testing real-time facial recognition
* Hawaiian volcanic eruption; 3 wks. continues - 100' lava spouts; 6.9 earthquake 5/7/18
* Nearly 200 wild horses dead in SW drought. 5/7/18
* 1st time sighting of neutron star collision, 10/17
* Antarctic Adelie penguin chicks die - only 2 survivors in colony, 10/14
* Hole size of Maine opens in Antarctic ice, largest since 1970s, 10/11
* Total solar eclipse, 9/21
* Devastation of Puerto Rico & Caribbean, Hurricane Maria, 9/20
* Five category 5 hurricanes (Irma, Maria) 9/17
* Giant sunspot releases large solar flares, largest in decade, 9/7
* FDA approves first gene-altering treatment for leukemia, (but $475,000), 8/30; approves 2nd treatment, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, 10/19
* Sixth mass extinction underway 7/17
Swedish co. implants workers with microchips 4/17
* Discovery of 7 new planets 2/17
* Over 650 pilot whales beached in New Zealand 2/11/17
* Large-scale tornado outbreaks increasing 1/17
* Crack in Antarctic ice shelf growing 1/17
* Accelerated glacier melting Antarctica 10/16